Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Project

Yesterday, I received a list of projects that I'll probably be a part of. I'm a little nervous, but I'll pretend I'm cool as a cucumber....

I'll be working at a place called AMURT (www.amurt.org.br, just in Portuguese) with groups from the community, victims of violence, exclusion and poverty, the majority of which are women and black people.
That project also serves groups of adolescents 18 and older.

According to the program coordinator, I'll be able to learn from them, to listen to their lives, to participate and create workshops, to teach some English....I'll probably be working at AMURT two days a week.

In the rest of the time, I can work in other, smaller, projects that need a volunteer for two afternoons or a day or so. For example:

- CENTRO COMUNITARIO VILA GAUCHA: A project inside the favela with complicated children and adolescents (without rules), in particular with English lesson. That is not an easy project...

- ILHA DOS MARINHEIROS: Project in a island, with the local poor community- lots of woman and adolescents; they organize themselves, there is not a good structure or series of activities, so Maya will have freedom to find the needs and organize workshops/activities/chats that she thinks would be possible/useful for the community! This sounds like a sure fire way to be part of a poor community.

I'll find out my final assignments next week, when I discuss whether I'd be willing to work with children or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment