Sunday, August 23, 2009

1 week

I've been here for a week, and I'm still enjoying myself. I'm finally becoming frustrated by the language barrier, but Jacque and Carolina are trying their best to make things clear to me in English while they're teaching me Portuguese. I'm exhausted from translating and studying and going to all of the parks and learning all of the neighborhoods and understanding the accents while I try to cultivate one of my own.

Still, all of these things are beautiful. I live with a woman who loves her daughter more than anything else in the world. I get to see the world through the eyes of an 11 year old--rolly pollys and punch bug, millipedes and BFFs--and I feel grateful for that.

I finally have time to sleep for a full 8 hours, and to read and to write. I have half a section of this house to myself! This week, I will begin Portuguese class and Capoeira class, and I'm pretty excited about regaining my independence (though I'm frightened about taking the bus...).

I'm reading the Alchemist in Portuguese, and while it is slow going, I think it is helping.

The most exciting event of today was our trip to Belem Nova where I will be working. We met Jacque's friend Camillo at his home which sits on top of a hill in front of the river. It is dazzling. The 4 dogs were the most welcoming hosts I've ever met. Okay, I'm off to study. I have to say, a girl could get used to this place.

I wonder if anyone is reading this.

4 comments:

  1. sounds AWESOME! nothin but highs! keep up the communication!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to live vicariously through you and your experience. If this is alright with you, I will happily keep reading and daydreaming at my office desk about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Estou cada vez mais inclinados a abandonar o meu trabalho antes de sair e vir para baixo para uma visita. Eu acho que seria um bom local para poker online, flashcards, e entrevistas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading along! sounds A-mazing...

    ReplyDelete