Monday, August 17, 2009

Capoeira

Capoeira is a graceful and malicious play. I am tempted to spend my Saturdays at Africanamenta Escola de Copoeira Angola learning to play for free. People need to exercise, right? I'm a people... I think I've found a friend to go with me. I believe I'll go.

It was a cafeteria. They, 5 women 5 men stood in a semi cirlce and we, a group of wide eyed exchangees filled in the rest of the circle. It was a rustic room in which we made rhythms with our hands as the players danced/fought within the circle we made for them. Brown and Black and White bodies moved toward and away from one another as if receiving invisible force to their heads or middles or ankles by a gravity more concentrated than wind. Men played with men, women with women and women with men. All of the players had different bodies, some tall some round, some tiny. Each member took his or her place playing music.

The entire experience was cinematic as if each flash of light on spetacles was intentional--slowed down; I could see indivdual dredlocks on the players heads fall and bounce as couch cushion does when depressed and released. And I played, albeit not very gracefully--more like a geriatric attempting a cartwheel.

And then we danced. 40 people clapping at once, although not all together, singing and dancing samba. I feel elated. I'm so lucky to be here.

1 comment: