Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Host Family

I met my host family and my contact person tonight. They are all lovely people. Jacqueline, the host mother, is a Professor. She writes books about education and social justice! She's elegant and eccentric. I'm looking forward to getting to know her. Her daughter, Carolina, 11, is delightful. She's learning English in school. I'm lucky to be living with an 11-year-old; she'll teach me everything she knows, and she'll make me laugh.

My contact person is also 25. She works in an accounting department for a bank. She's wry and witty, and has a hearty laugh for such a small person. I think we'll get along very well.

Mom, she's an Aquarius, too (February 8th).

On Saturday I'll go to their house in Santana. Apparently, they have a Yorkshire terrier and a swimming pool. Also, it is in a residential area that's a 10 minute walk from shops and bars and restaurants. I'm holding out hope for a bookstore--any kind of bookstore.

Jacqueline has a friend (whose name I don't recall) who is a piano teacher, so maybe I'll be able to practice while I'm here.

So next week, I begin my projects, find a Capoeira class and start Portuguese classes. This may be the single best decision I've ever made in my life.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Incidentally, this "mom" you write of shares my birth date. Therefore, she must be a very fine individual.

    ReplyDelete