Thursday, August 27, 2009

I smell terrible.

Here's why: I spent the entirety of my day lost and riding the bus. I don't say this as a complaint. This is a victory smell.

I was placed, twice, at the wrong bus stop. I asked a stranger (in Portuguese) for the right stop, and found it. Then I went to meet a person who wasn't there.

While riding I looked out of the window and wished I had my camera. When I got back to the end of the line (after going to the other one) I said "Oi," again, to Luecy, the attendant who, with so much humor, had directed me the first time I saw her this morning, and made my way to the train.

Sidenote: This is not winter. Outside it is temperate (though inside of a bus--if one is wearing a light sweater as one is wont to do during "winter"--one might do a little sweating), the sun is up from 5 to 18:00, and women are wearing open toe shoes and mid drifts. As an announcement to Brasilians and Texans alike, winter is a season wherein the average temperature is 0 degrees celcius or 32 degrees fairenheit. This is not that. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that I can wear a t-shirt in "winter," but I'm becoming increasingly concerned about the heat of the summer yet to come.

And we're back. I took the train to Centro, which is as it seems, the hub of Porto Alegre. On my left lay the river, on my right the Public Market (with produce at prices you couldn't beat with a stick), a sort of plaza--like a quaint working man's flea market with big beautiful clocks and cafés and tourists. On several occasions people asked me for directions. I'm super glad I picked a place where I blend in. Of course, even when I understood them, I wasn't much help--but I see good things coming. :-)

Anyway, I made it to Belém Novo (less than 2 hours away and back) in almost 6 hours... Along the way I met a nice family in a store that was also their home, a few old ladies at bus stops, a nice man in an automobile repair shop, and a mom with her two kids. I believe in the kindness (and patience) of strangers.

On the way home, I got off of the bus early. And again, I walked home with only signs in Portuguese to guide the way. I am a champion. I have earned this smell and some new vocabulary words.

Moving on. Tonight I'm going to the movies with Jacqueline and Marcia to see a French film. Sweet. Oh, and before that I'll take a shower.

1 comment: