Monday, September 21, 2009

Tidbits

I've finally made a routine. Luckily, it involves a lot of free time. So I work with two different groups of elderly people on Wednesday and Friday. Both groups are small, one has 3 people, the other 8. The latter is a women's group, and I have to say, I love them all.

I take Capoeira classes on Wednesday and Friday nights. Tuesday I go to my Portuguese class, and next week, I think I'll take on teaching two students English on Monday and Thursday.
One of the fellows in my Capoeira class is an American indie journalist, and he and his wife made this documentary: http://www.beyondelections.com/ if you're interested.


I'm redesigning the writing workshop that I developed to fit a smaller time frame, and to intersect with the crafting that the old folks like to do. I'll let you know how that goes, and when we've finished our books, I'll be sure to post some pictures.

This week, I participated in an afoxé, which is like a big drum circle. It is the musical component to Capoeira, and it too originates from Angola. After my Capoeria lesson on Friday, and before I lost use of my quadreceps, I played a drum with the other members of my group, and sang along with the songs and chants. I will post pictures of the group this week. It is hard to take pictures when you're participating.

Today I sat on a bench in a park downtown for 2 hours; I drew and talked to passersby until I had the courage and patience to go to the Claro store (like a Verizon store) to get them to fix my phone. I think that universally, customer service people are frustrated by having to talk to foreigners, but the last of 5 people whom I spoke to was really nice. So, I count this adventure as a win. My phone works, and I'm only R$11 poorer.

My new minor obsession: The World Social Forum (WSF) . Check it: The WSF was established as an initiative for the mobilization and coordination of global civil society. It has played a central role in dialoguing with the rising global justice movement, offering a rich space for exchanging experiences, building campaigns and discussions of alternatives to social problems on a global level. It started here in Porto Alegre in 2001, and for the 10th anniversary year (2010) part of the forum will be held here. So if anyone is planning on visiting for some hippie fair, then show your face between Jan 25-29th.

Other things of note: MPB: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Música_Popular_Brasileira

Cassia Eller: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassia_Eller

The song Sonzinho by Caetano Veloso is super beautiful, and you should listen to it.

As vezes, no silêncio da noite
Eu fico imaginando nós dois
Eu fico ali sonhando acordado, juntando
o antes, o agora e o depois
por que você me dixa tão solto?
por que você não cola em mim?
Tô me sentido muito sozinho!

Não sou nem quero ser o seu dono
É que um carinho às vezes cai bem
Eu tenho meus segredos e planos secretos
só abro pra você mais ninguém
por que você me esquece e some?
e se eu me interessar por alguém?
e se ela, de repente, me ganha?

Quando a gente gosta
è claro que a gente cuida
fala que me ama
só que é da boca pra fora
ou você me engana
ou não está madura
onde está você agora?

Quando a gente gosta
é claro que a gente cuida
fala que me ama
só que é da boca pra fora
ou você me engana
ou não está madura
onde está você agora?

No comments:

Post a Comment